Shaping future leaders through collaborative project-based learning, democracy, and STEAM
Summit School of the Poconos is a non-profit, private school in Northeastern Pennsylvania. The founders of Summit School created a learning environment to better prepare students for the 21st century’s highly competitive and evolving workforce. By breaking the mold of traditional learning, we offer meaningful, collaborative educational experiences with an emphasis on Project-Based Learning, Democracy, and STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics). These pillars help shape our students into future entrepreneurs, leaders, and innovators.
We also include Movement as a pinnacle component of our educational model. Physical movement (walking, running, jumping jacks, etc.) affords our students multiple opportunities to move their bodies throughout the day, often times outdoors, which research shows helps increase learning.
Summit School focuses on shaping students into successful leaders in the 21st century while also helping them become responsible citizens and good neighbors. These qualities are explicit in our SSP student HEROES (HONEST, EMPATHETIC, RESPONSIBLE, OPEN-MINDED, ENCOURAGING, SCHOLARS) and we encourage each student to strive to demonstrate these attributes.
We created an innovative educational experience that prepares our children for success in our modern world.
At Summit School, we educate our students in a way that suits their individual needs:
- We apply our curriculum to real world experiences instead of “teaching to the test.”
- We allow flexibility in time and scheduling, understanding that a strong deference to the clock can inhibit innovation.
- We teach through integration and collaboration of disciplines– avoiding the traditional approach to education which often divides academic subjects into “silos.”
Preparing children for the future starts by recognizing their individuality.
At Summit School, every child is respected – and taught – as an individual.
- Students learn at their own pace and enjoy individualized instruction.
- Students are encouraged to be themselves while learning to be a contributor to a larger community.
- Learning is interactive, fluid, and our teachers encourage critical thinking, creativity, innovation, and collaboration.
Our teachers love what they do and their passion is contagious.
- You see it in the once-disengaged child who is now invested, aware, and involved in learning.
- You see it in a child who never liked to read but now dives into one book after another.
- You see it in the child who eagerly embraces every assignment and no longer requires coaxing to work on school projects.
Lesson learnedFor education to be effective today, it must engage, empower, and excite.
What parents are saying
There is no other school like Summit School. The pure excitement that my child gets from going to school and learning through play and projects is absolutely priceless!Kristie, Parent